This is not legal advice. Click here to learn about getting a lawyer and whether you need one.

Rescheduling a Hearing

An OATH judge may decide to postpone your case to a later date. A postponement is called an adjournment. You might ask for an adjournment to have more time to gather information. You may also request more time to find an attorney to represent you at the hearing. You can ask for an adjournment at any time, if you have a valid reason, either before the date of the settlement conference and hearing, or even that same day, during the conference or hearing.

If you call on the date of your hearing to ask to change the date because of an emergency, you must provide a valid excuse and explain why you cannot attend your hearing. If you know that you cannot make the hearing beforehand, call OATH, as soon as you learn about the problem, at 1-844-628-4692.